Start a new topic

IP Control

Welcome to the PTZOptics forum(s)!

This thread has been created for end users to discuss the topic of TCP / UDP control settings when getting started with the PTZOptics cameras.

Please make sure to respect the experience level(s) of all users at all times when posting within our forums or your account may have access removed.

2 people have this question

The camera uses VISCA commands, so the speed is set in each command. So there isn't a place on the camera to set a PTZ speed, you define it when sending a PTZ command. The command list is linked below. 

https://ptzoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/PTZOptics-VISCA-over-IP-Rev-1_2-8-20.pdf

1 person likes this

Ah, I get it, didn't see that. Thanks for pointing this out.

I have been using the PTZOptics module for Companion with a Stream Deck and the "pan and tilt speed" is currently possible to adjust separately. I realize now that it is using internal variables to "remember" the speeds to use when sending the VISCA commands and I could actually add the same functionality for zoom speed if I want as Companion and the modules are open source.

Companion can be found here: https://bitfocus.io/companion/

The source code for the PTZOptics module for Companion can be found here:

https://github.com/bitfocus/companion-module-ptzoptics-visca

I am using the PTZO IP Camera Control app on WIndows 10, I am only able to see and control one of my cameras. I have the proper IP address set up on the cameras and the app. I can control both Cameras via the iOS app. What am I doing wrong?

Hello Dale,

Are you able to access the Web Interface of each of your cameras from the PC that is running the control app?

And are you running the latest version of the control app for Windows, Version 1.4.1?

In the Multi Camera Settings section of the app, double check that the IP address of each camera is entered correctly. And make sure that the dial next to IP camera is filled in Black.

Then be sure to click OK in the Multi Camera Settings window for any changes you make to save. 

As long as everything is entered in correctly you should be able to use the Camera Select buttons in the app to switch between your different cameras for control. 

I’ve got a client who has two 20x cameras that have been running great for a year now. All of a sudden they have no control from the Mac control app. I’ve checked all up adderesses, rebooted, power cycled checked multi cam settings with no change. I can log directly into the camera through the IP address in safari browser and control both cameras. I’m also able to control both cameras in the Upgrade software. Any ideas where else I might look or ideas?

Hi Wes,

That is an odd one, if the connection is working for HTTP and using the Upgrade tool, you should get in using the PTZOptics app too. Log into the Web Gui and go to the network tab and make sure the "PTZ" port is still set to be 5678. 

Macs can be extremely finicky about being hooked up to multiple networks at once. I would make sure you are not connected to any other networks for a test, and try it that way. 

If you can't get it working feel free to call in and we can try and figure it out together,  484 593 2584 8am to 4pm EST M-F.

Looking through the PTZOptics VISCA over IP Commands (both Rev-1_2-8-20 & Rev-1_4-8-20) I can see that the Pan_TiltDrive commands have speed parameters for both pan and tilt (pan speed VV = 0x01 - 0x18, tilt speed WW = 0x01 - 0x14), but if I'm reading the PDF correctly, there is no corresponding zoom speed parameter on any of the zoom commands. 

In particular I'm looking at the CAM_Zoom Direct command (x81 x01 x04 x47 x0p x0q x0r x0s xFF), but even Tele/Wide commands (what's the difference between the Variable and Standard options?) don't mention speed controls.

The supplied control app definitely supports zoom speed (1-7) and the cgi commands have speed parameters for both pan/tilt & zoom (again 1-7), so am I missing something or do the VISCA zoom commands not support the speed parameter?

Thanks
Tim

HI Wes,

There is a Zoom section for the relative Zoom commands, The link is here for the Visca over IP commands for the PTZOptics cameras. https://ptzoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/PTZOptics-VISCA-over-IP-Rev-1_2-8-20.pdf

The variable option is for the variable speed, the standard option does not give you the chance to put in a speed. You want to use the variable Zoom and Pan, Tilt commands in order use the speeds. 

Thanks Andrew,

Yes, I missed that speed option in the variable zoom commands. As mentioned I've been focussed on the Direct command which is also missing the speed option.

Is this a limitation of the VISCA command set or is it PTZOptics's implementation?

Thanks
Tim

That looks to be how the direct vs relative PTZ commands work using VISCA. 

Andrew Sorry for such delayed response. I did check and the PTZ port is in fact still 5678 on both cameras via the web GUI. They can still access camera gui's and can also operate cameras fully from a remote IPAd application but still no control from the actual computer which is most effeciant for their work flow. I know that when the system was first installed they were still using Catalina OS and they updated the computer to Big Sur even after me asking them not update Os without talking to me first. Have ya'll seen any issues with Big Sur causing and system changes or non compatibility without firmware updates or a new version of the control software? Here are screen shots of settings for network in both Cameras. 

IMG1846.JPG
(390 KB)
IMG1845.JPG
(268 KB)

Andrew I also checked to make sure that the computer was only hooked to the hardline ethernet and wifi was disabled. 

Hello,

It looks like Multicast is turned on in the network section of the .54 camera. Turn that option off, assuming your network is not configured to handle multicast traffic you would not want that turned on. After turning it Off be sure to click Apply at the bottom of the page and then go to the System section and Reboot the camera.

Do you have the latest version of the camera control app installed, v1.4.1? If you are still running v1.3, uninstall that version and download/install the latest version from here.

It sounds like everything is configured correctly on the network and the fact that it still won't work when disabling wifi makes me think something may be entered incorrectly within the control app itself.

So in the Multi Camera settings of the app, make sure there are no typos in the IP addresses. 

Also be sure that the dial next to IP camera is selected. The selected dial will be filled in black. 

If you still can't get it to work give us a call and we should be able to get it running correctly. 

The number for support is 484-593-2584. Support is available from 8 AM to 6 PM ET, Monday through Friday. 

I saw there is an option to change the PresetSpeed by Visca, but is there any chance to change PresetSpeed by Http-Commands, as we use them with Companion?

Hello Stephan,

The speed the cameras will pan, tilt, and zoom at are set within the OSD menu of the camera.

Open the OSD menu and look under the P/T/Z Sub menu.

Call Preset Speed will set the pan and tilt speed the camera will move at when presets are called.

Pre Zoom Speed will set the zoom speed the camera will move at when presets are called.

Login to post a comment