Start a new topic

RS232 Control

Welcome to the PTZOptics forum(s)!

This thread has been created for end users to discuss the topic of RS232 control setup when getting started with the PTZOptics cameras.

Please make sure to respect the experience level(s) of all users at all times when posting within our forums or your account may have access removed.

1 person has this question

Are the RS232 commands the same as the VISCA Commands?  If so how do I find the camera address for the case of serial (the first 8 bytes)?

Do you have some full samples of RS232 commands (specifically to command pan and tilt)?

Thanks,

Hi Doug,

The standard serial control commands are almost identical to the IP versions.

The main difference is in the header with regards to an ID of 1 for IP and the ID being set for serial.

You can find a list of the current Serial based VISCA commands at the following link:

https://ptzoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/PTZOptics-VISCA-Commands-Rev-1_3.1-10-19.pdf

Other resources also available at...  https://ptzoptics.com/download

By default the VISCA ID is set for one (1) for the PTZOptics cameras.

If you wish to change, or verify, the current VISCA ID the easiest method is to open the OSD of the camera using the remote or IP interface.

Navigate to the "COMMUNICATION SETUP" and select.

Modify the V_Address to change the assigned VISCA ID.

(Note depending on firmware version a reboot may be required to commit the change)

If there is anything else we can do to be of assistance please don't hesitate to come back.

Thanks for the pointers.  I just reflashed the firmware to the latest version, so I assume the address is the default.

So if I send the following packet 9600n81 I should expect the camera to pan left, correct?

0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x01 0x06 0x01 0x10 0x00 0x01 0x03 0xFF

Do I need to terminate with a CR, LF, CRLF?

Should I receive a response?

Thanks,

DougM

Thank you for the pointer Matthew.

I just reflashed the camera to the current firmware so presumably the address is the default.

So if I'm communicating at 9600n81 and send the following packet

0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x01 0x06 0x01 0x10 0x00 0x01 0x03 0xFF

I should expect the camera to pan left, correct?

Should I expect any return string?

Thanks,

Nailed it.

0x81 0x01 0x06 0x01 0x03 0x03 0x01 0x03 0xFF

Thanks,

Awesome!

Very glad to hear you're up and running Doug.

If there is anything else we can do to be of assistance just let us know.

Hi...in my case we're searching for criticism and data about how well this functions or doesn't function. We're attempting to settle on IP camera control versus direct (RS-485) control. Not certain on the off chance that we care about VISCA versus Pelco, yet we certainly need a star  topology for our PTZ camera control.

Hi,

If you need to use a   star  topology  then I would go with IP control. Serial control generally works in a daisy chain fashion and would not work properly in a star config. 

Can your PTZ Control app be used with a USB/serial adaptor? I don't see a way to choose a COM port. Or is it strictly for VISCA over IP?

Hi Dan,

The PTZOptics Camera Control App uses VISCA over IP only. 

There are some software options like Rocosoft that should be compatible with USB Serial adaptors. 

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment