Start a new topic

SDI

Welcome to the PTZOptics forum(s)!

This thread has been created for end users to discuss the topic of the SDI output when getting started with the PTZOptics cameras.

Please make sure to respect the experience level(s) of all users at all times when posting within our forums or your account may have access removed.

1 person has this question

Currently the PTZOptics cameras only supply FULL FRAME rates via any output... including the SDI.

Currently audio DOES NOT embed via the SDI output.

This features is only available via the IP, USB and HDMI outputs

Note that you must change the Setting in the cameras OSD from DVI to HDMI for audio to travel via that output if it is not currently doing so.

There is no method of control available via the SDI connection.

Looking to purchase a PTZ Optics camera for our church. Like the remote functions. I will need to route cabling over a 40 to 50 foot span to a room off of our sanctuary. We will be doing an external mix of the audio using a Behringer X-32 Compact digital mixer. How should I route audio for live streaming? the camera model is the PT20X-SDI-WH-G2 (White).

Thanks,

Hi Doug,

This all depends if you are going to be pulling the camera feed into a computer and streaming out from there using a program such as Vmix or OBS, or are you planning on streaming directly form the camera?

If you stream directly from the camera to a Youtube of Facebook live, you would need to sum the audio down to a 3.5mm connection and bring it in to the line in on the back of the camera to be embedded in the network feed. This would have to be a live level signal, so most of the outputs of your board should work. 

If you want to bring the audio back to you computer and use one of those programs to put everything together, you could sum it down to bring it in via the 3.5mm connection on the computer, or use a basic Audio interface to bring the audio into the computer. It does look like your Behringer has a USB connection to the computer, but I am unsure of if you can bring that in as a source in a Video program such as Vmix or OBS just because I have not had the chance to test with that board myself. 

If you want to talk any of this out please feel free to give us a call, 610 518 2200. 

Hi guys, 

First time poster and to be honest trying to make my way through this new world of ptz stuff.  I did a search and could not find an answer for my question.  So if this info is already covered please point me in the right direction.

My question deals with the use of SDI and USB.  I thought I saw a how to video from you guys (I cant find it now)  where the Camera (PT20x-ndi) which is connected to my tricaster 460 AE through SDI.  Can I use the USB port to connect to my TC for PTZ control?  I thought I saw that I could on a video.  If not what the best way to give me PTZ control while not using NDI.  Also the camera is about 12 feet away from the Tricaster.

Thanks guys

Jerald 

Hi Jerald,

Thanks for joining our forums and welcome!

So we did have two (2) videos a few years ago documenting a method to use a USB-->RS232 adapter to add PTZ control to your Tricaster.

Over time the videos had less value as the feature became increasingly unreliable and the content was removed to not mislead people on this capability.

With the fading of the hardwired RS232 support NewTek did add, to systems running Advanced Edition 2, the ability to gain PTZ control over the network and NDI is not required.

If your system is currently running this edition you can navigate to the control section for the camera(s) connected and simply type the IP address and port (5678 - TCP or 1259 - UDP) of the camera to gain reliable PTZ control.

I hope that this information is helpful in guiding you towards a solution for use with your Tricaster and PTZOptics cameras.

If you have any additional questions, ideas or concerns related to this information please let us know and we'll be happy to continue to assist to the best of our abilities.

I hope this message finds you having a wonderful day.

gotcha....i forgot about the PTZ setting on each input.  Awesome thank you

Hi Jerald,

I remember the first time someone told me it was there... I was amazed I had never discovered it before :-)

If there is anything else we can help with please don;t hesitate to come back.

I just purchased my first PTZOptics.  It's a 30x 3G-SDI.  Everything has been good so far except for the one second delay that Wirecast wants to put in the RTSP stream.  I've contacted Wirecast about that one.  Meanwhile I'm trying to use the 30x 3G-SDI SDI output.  But I'm getting nothing but a blank black screen from the 30x 3G-SDI.  So far I've tried capturing the video on  Wirecast and on Quicktime.   Nothing but a black screen on either.

I've scoured PTZOptics Support and Google to find advice for a cure.  So far all I've found is what leads me to believe that my setup should work.  But it doesn't.  Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?  I'm assuming it's something simple but have not yet been able to resolve.

Here's the setup:

*  The switch on 30x 3G-SDI is set at 0 for 1080p60.

*  A brand new  Roland RCC-16-SDI BNC to BNC cable connects from the SDI output port to the SDI input port of my Blackmagicdesign Mini Recorder.  (I've tested to cable for continuity with an ohm meter.  Seems to be OK.)

*  The Blackmagicdesign Mini Recorder has been set for SDI input and the SDI input is set for "Captured as 1080p progressive video.  (I have two of these Mini Recorders and both yield the same black screen results.  And both of these Mini Recorders work when set for and given an HDMI input  I have no other device with an SDI output for testing.)

*  The Blackmagicdesign Mini Recorder is connected to my iMac14,2 via the appropriate Thunderbolt cable.

*  The iMac14,2 recognizes the both of the Blackmagicdesign Mini Recorders.  I see video from the Mini Recorders when I give them an HDMI input and set them to HDMI.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Hi Garth,

I think we can help you with this issue based on our testing of the BMD MiniRecorder.

We have found that the PTZOptics cameras and the BMD MiniRecorder have limited resolutions for 100% compatibility.

Below you will find a matrix showcasing the compatible camera output resolutions to BMD MiniRecorder input resolutions.

Please make sure to restart the camera after changing the output resolution and to ensure that the proper input settings for the BMD MiniRecorder have been set to match per the chart above.

If you are still having issues after changing the output and input settings per the chart above let us know and we'll be happy to help as needed.

Sorry for the Newby question, but I'm not sure how to verify the SDI feed. I have a Producer Kit with three cameras powered via Cat6. The program I testing with PTZ Optics Controller, OBS, VLC, etc. access cameras via the network address and the video seems to be traveling that route also (if latency is any indication). Also, if I pull an SDI cable - the video is still flowing. 

Perhaps a different setup procedure or software would select the feed from the SDI connection? Our application is mainly archival at this point and we have not been approved for a live media stream at our institution at this time. 

Best, 

Robert Rumbolz

Hi Robert,

No need to apologize at all... we'll be able to assist in checking out the SDI feed from the camera(s).

So you have mentioned you purchased one of the PTZOptics Producer Kits... this kit comes with the camera, SDI cabling, control cabling and a Magewell SDI to USB Capture Card.

Note: If this happens to be the Producer Plus package the Magewell SDI to USB will be replaced by an external enclosure housing a 4 input SDI capture card, also from Magewell.

So to test the SDI output from the camera(s) you will need to connect the SDI output from the camera to the SDI input on the Magewell hardware using the supplied SDI cable.

Make sure the Magewell is connected to an available USB port on the Intel NUC and that all the drivers have fully installed before trying to access the input.

To view the SDI feed you have multiple options in the downloadable software realm...

AMCAP - AMCAP is a simple USB Video & Audio Input viewer... any USB based Audio or Video source can be accessed from the free trial version of AMCAP for testing and tuning.

Magewell - Magewell provides their own viewing software that also allows you to see more characteristics about the SDI signal

OBS - While more of a production platform OBS will allow you to view any USB video or audio input device to make part of a larger production

VLC - A swiss-army knife of sorts but VLC will also allow you to view any Audio or Video source connected to the PC via USB as an Input Device

If after installing any of the above software solutions you are having problems figuring out exactly how to access the video / audio feed don't hesitate to come back for more detailed instructions on any of the solutions I have mentioned.

I hope this has been helpful and if there is anything else that I can do to assist please don't hesitate to come back.

Thanks for the help - I just needed to add the correct media to confirm this.

I am trying to set up ptz optics 20x sdi camera for live streaming in our local gurudwara. Distance from desktop is around 75 feet. I would like to use the sdi out. What kind of cable and connectors do I need. On my desktop I plan to use the camlink dongle to convert signal into a format that my desktop can then stream using OBS. This is first time, I am doing this, so not sure what type of 3g-sdi cables with connectors I need. I am told that I will need a sdi to hdmi converter box (which I already have)...will appreciate any assitance. 

Hi Harjeet Singh Saini,

If you are searching for raw cabling and connectors the information below should help you to source the components and materials locally.

Cabling

When requesting coaxial cabling that will be compliant with the specifications of 3G-SDI signals we need to make sure the cabling meets the following specifications

• RG6 (Coaxial Cable Type)
  • 75-Ohm (Resistance Rating)
  • 18AWG (Cable Gauge)

Connectors

When requesting connectors for use with 3G-SDI signal cabling, as specified above, they should be an "RG6 BNC Male Connector" for each end of the cable.

It is worth noting that the connector(s) may require the use of a specialized, or generic, crimping tools to make a reliable connection.

It may be worth searching to see if a pre-made RG6, 75ohm, 3G-SDI cable is available in your area as sometimes the cost to purchase pre-made versus investing in the everything to make your own will not make financial sense... unless you plan to make a number of cables.

If you have any other questions on the 3G-SDI cabling, or other topics, please don;t hesitate to come back and inquire.

Login to post a comment