Start a new topic

VLC

Welcome to the PTZOptics forum(s)!

This thread has been created for end users to discuss the topic of compatibility between the PTZOptics camera line and VLC software.

Please make sure to respect the experience level(s) of all users at all times when posting within our forums or your account may have access removed.

I am trying to find VLC setup information in your knowledge base as indicated in the camera documentation? I Have Mozilla installed...

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for reaching out to us for support with VLC and the PTZOptics camera(s).

Unfortunately Mozilla has dropped support for NPAPI which is required to run VLC within the Mozilla browser.

Currently the only option for having a live preview from the cameras WebUI within a web browser is to utilize Internet Explorer (not EDGE)

If you download the PTZOptics ActiveX component and install it you can use the IE Dropdown option to preview the live feed

ActiveX Download Link: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/418770/PTZ_Optics/PTZOPTICS_IE_Installer.exe

There are a few other options depending on how you would like to use the live preview that may be worth investigating.

Simply a Preview...

VLC, the stand alone application, allows you to view the live feed using RTSP from the camera.

If you open VLC and from the Media drop down menu select "Open Network Stream" we can use the following RTSP URLs to see the preview.

Stream 1: rtsp://<cameras ip>:554/1

Stream 2: rtsp://<cameras ip>:554/2

Note: simply replace <cameras ip> with the current IP address of your camera. 

Example: Cameras IP is 192.168.100.88 we would use the following URL to pull Stream 1   rtsp://192.168.100.88:554/1

Preview and Control...

PTZOptics offers free software to preview and control your camera via the network.

PTZOptics Control Software -  https://ptzoptics.com/ptz-app/ 

There is also a free software called Onvif Device Manager that is able to discover, preview and control the cameras .

ONVIF Device Manager -  https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/ 

If you have any followup questions or even questions of a different nature please don't hesitate to come back and inquire.

On an iMac, what is the best/easiest way to get a multiview display? The only way I have figured out so far is to use the command line in a terminal window to launch multiple instances of VLC. I am trying to have RTSP preview of my 3 SDI 30x cameras.

The PTZOptics Control Software preview function does not work on my Mac. In fact, when I select Preview from the menu, it causes the app to crash, with the only way out of it being to Force Quit the app.

Hello David,

To see a multiview of several different camera's RTSP feeds, I would recommend using software like OBS instead of VLC.

Here are instructions for bringing the RTSP feed into OBS. 

OBS has a multiview feature built in and it is fairly easy to configure. 

Just go to View and then choose either Multiview (Fullscreen) or Multiview (Windowed).

And the control app crashing on Mac when viewing the preview, is something that has been solved with the newest version of the app (v1.4).

So I would recommend downloading and installing the latest version.

https://ptzoptics.com/ptz-app/

Hello, I am not able to see the camera preview on the PTZOptics App v1.4.  I can view it under internet explorer.  Has the ability to view the live camera feed gone away on the app?

Hello Integrity Audio Visual,

Do you have control over your camera in the Control App?

You should just need to select Stream 1 or Stream 2 in that Preview section and click Start to see the live preview.

If you open the camera's Web Interface, check under the Network section and make sure that RTSP Auth is set to Off. If that option is turned on it could be interfering with the RTSP feed in the app.

If you do need to change that setting, be sure to click Apply at the bottom of the page and Reboot the camera from the System section.

The RTSP setting wasbit. Thanks for that tip. I am noticing now, though, a picture in picture window now on the preview. Any way to shut that off? Screen shot attached.

Hi @Integrity Audio Visual,

Would you be able to share which model camera you are using with the PTZOptics Control App?

This picture-in-picture is a feature I am not familiar with the application supporting.

I might also recommend downloading the latest version of the PTZOptics Control App v1.4.1, released last week, to see if the issue persists.

We will look forward to hearing from you when you have the opportunity and hope this message finds you having a great day.

Control app is 1.4.1.  Camera is the 30xSDI with latest firmware.  As far as I know, I did not enable any picture in picture option anywhere, so I am not sure where it came from.  Only visible in the app.

Hi @Integrity Audio Visual,

This is indeed baffling as PiP is not a feature offered by the cameras.

Is there any hardware or software "in-line" being used that has PiP capabilities?

As an example NDI Studio Monitor can achieve PiP and then re-broadcast that PiP feed.

I would strongly suggest reaching out to our awesome support team at this point to see if they can help you get to the bottom of this very strange issue.

You certainly have me curious and stumped over here with these magical PiP capabilities :-)

Login to post a comment