Start a new topic

Broadcast Frame Rates

Welcome to the PTZOptics forum(s)!

This thread has been created for end users to discuss the topic of PTZOptics potentially adding Broadcast Frame Rates to the cameras capabilities.

Please make sure to respect the experience level(s) of all users at all times when posting within our forums or your account may have access removed.

Currently PTZOptics cameras only provide solid frame rates for the video outputs.

Please provide any thoughts or feelings on the potential addition of broadcast frame rates as a capability of the cameras.

5 people like this idea

We are excited to announce a new experimental "Broadcast Frame Rate" feature for the following PTZOptics models:

• PT12X-SDI-XX-G2 (PoE Version)
  • PT12X-NDI-XX
  • PT20X-SDI-XX-G2 (PoE Version)
  • PT20X-NDI-XX
  • PT30X-SDI-XX-G2
  • PT30X-NDI-XX

The new experimental feature will introduce broadcast frame rates, fractional frame rates, for the SDI output ONLY.

To achieve this you will first need to visit the PTZOptics Firmware Finder and upgrade your cameras firmware, compatible models listed above, to the latest release.

Note the change-log does not currently reflect this experimental feature

Once you have finished upgrading the firmware of your compatible model PTZOptics camera you can achieve broadcast frame rates using the "System Select" dial on the back of the PTZOptics camera.

The new frame rates have been added to dial settings A, B, C and F as follows:

Where A is now 1080P@59.94, B is 1080i@59.94, C is 1080P@29.97 and F is 720P@59.94

Don't forget that after making any changes to the "System Select" dial you must reboot the camera for the changes to commit.

Please note that this new experimental feature has been successfully tested with SDI input hardware from the following manufacturers to-date:

• NewTek Tricaster
  • Magewell
  • ATOMOS
  • Decimator

As this is an experimental feature about to graduate to beta please do not expect 100% compatibility at present but know it is our end goal.

Any feedback our wonderful users can provide on this exciting new feature is always appreciated.

Status Update: We have been hearing a lot of success stories surrounding the new broadcast frame rate firmware.

Unfortunately one thing that this firmware update is unable to solve is the SDI Level A / B incompatibility.

This is something that can only be resolved via an actual hardware change to the platform after continued testing.

This issue largely pertains to BMD equipment... of note on this subject we have been told the 720@59.94 (Dial "F") is working on the ATEM.

We are still looking for any additional feedback, good or bad, in regards to the latest broadcast frame rate firmware if you have the time.

1 person likes this

I just installed the latest firmware on a brand new PT20X-SDI-xx-G2 over the weekend.  I was unable to get setting '0' (1080P60) or setting 'A' (1080P59.94) to work with our 'Blackmagicdesign DeckLink Duo 2' capture card.  All of our other sources work fine with this same capture card when they're running at 1080P59.94. (These sources include a Bolin VCC-7HD30, Axis V5915, Panasonic AJ-PX270, and Windows 10 PC, all running at 1080P59.94)  I was able to get setting 'C' (1080P29.97) on the camera working with this capture card.

Can you confirm compatibility with the non pie sdi g2 models now. On your announcement video you said it was only for the pie models.

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately at this time we do not have firmware available for the non-PoE units.

We are investigating what is required to make those older cameras support this new feature.

At the moment though there are no guarantees nor an ETA for the feature becoming available.

I hope to provide updates in this topic as they become available so please stay tuned.

Hi Tom,

One of the issues that exists with BMD equipment and the PTZOptics camera line is that BMD utilizes SDI Level B.

With this latest firmware update we have been able to bring broadcast frame rates to the cameras but to be able to provide an SDI Level B signal requires hardware changes.

We have received mixed success stories from BMD users stating that the 720P@59.94 worked for them others claiming 1080i@59.94 worked.

Now the following are resolutions / frame rates we have tested in the past with the BMD DeckLink Duo and have proven to be compatible:

1080P@30

1080i@60

720@P60

With mixed reports surrounding the new 1080i@59.94 and 720P@59.94 resolutions / frame rates as compatible.

If you discover anything else please share it here otherwise I hope this information has proven helpful.

Has anyone tried the new framerates with the ATEM Production Studio series of switchers and the output of the ATEM set to SDI Level A? I see that the output of the switchers can be set to Level A and some users on the BMD forums claim that this Level A setting applies not only to outputs but inputs as well. I'm in the middle of building a system and am trying to figure this stuff out.

Hi Kelly,

I have been told that to utilize the SDI Level A feature requires supporting firmware that can be acquired from BMD.

We have tested SDI Level A firmware for the DeckLink but did not see any difference in support for the PTZOptics cameras.

There was an attempt around the summer of 2018 in the BMD forums to create a list of BMD products that are reported to support SDI Level A I have linked below:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78578

The forums are reporting that with the proper firmware the following ATEM Production Studio models currently support SDI Level A

Atem Production Studio 4K - Level A & B (Settable in Atem software)
Atem 1M/E Production Studio 4K - Level A & B (Settable in Atem software)
Atem 2M/E Production Studio 4K - Level A & B (Settable in Atem software)

If anyone out there discovers that any of the new PTZOptics broadcast frame rates on our SDI Level A output are working with any BMD equipment we would love to hear from you.

I can confirm the the PT20x SDI Gen 2 POE model after latest firmware does work with the Blackmagic Design Television Studio 4K. Thom matter what frame rate you choose on the BMTVS4K it will convey the signal to match. Each of the 8 inputs have up-down converters.
image.jpg
(3.49 MB)

I have not been able to get the PT12x-NDI camera to work in 1080P59.94 mode with the Blackmagic Design ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K.  Camera firmware 6.2.63 and ATEM firmware 7.5.2 configured to 1080p59.94 Level A.  It does work, however, when both camera and ATEM are set to 1080p29.97 mode.  Unfortunately, I need 59.94 for compatibility with my monitors.

Hi Dave Hess,

So we have been able to confirm this behavior for the 12, 20 or 30 model variants even with the new mixed frame rates being available; just as you are seeing.

When we launched this new firmware that included experimental broadcast frame rates we were aware that we had not solved the SDI Level A / B issue associated with BlackMagic equipment and PTZOptics cameras.

We have found that while the broadcast frame rates do add additional compatibility, such as 29.97, some frame rates still just don't work with BlackMagic until we add additional hardware for Level A / B support.

At this time, due to a hardware change being required, I do not for see the PTZOptics Second Generation (G2) line ever achieving 100% compatibility with BlackMagic equipment.

As may be implied above this is something we will be resolving as we look towards our next generation of cameras.

In the meantime a majority of our customers requiring this frame rate are utilizing a Decimator MD-HX in line to handle the SDI Level A / B conversion with great success.

I wish I could offer you a different suggestion but at this current time that is the best solution to your issue that I am aware of.

Just stumbled across this and want to say think you for adding broadcast frame rates. I just updated my G2 20x-SDI and it works great in 1080i @ 59.94 and 720p @ 59.94 on an BMD ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K. No more Decimator MD-HX needed!

Hi Scott,

That's wonderful so glad it has been able to simplify your setup.

Also thank you very much for sharing in the forum.

Is there anything in the broadcast frame rates that would cause a delay on the SDI output?  We are seeing a very noticeable delay from our PTZ-30X running 1080P at 29.97.  I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet, but thought I'd check if this is a known issue.

Login to post a comment