Start a new topic

Trisynchronous Motion

Welcome to the PTZOptics forum(s)!

This thread has been created for end users to discuss the topic of PTZOptics working on Trisynchronus Motion for preset recall.

Please make sure to respect the experience level(s) of all users at all times when posting within our forums or your account may have access removed.

Currently PTZOptics provide a very standard form of robotic camera movement when recalling presets.

Please provide any thoughts or feelings on the potential addition of a camera, or cameras, with the capability to provide a form of trisynchronus motion for preset recalls.

7 people like this idea

Any new developments in this area?

Thanks.

I would love to get an update on this topic.

Hi Tim & Brian,

So the rough example as discussed prior is available in firmware as we received enough requests for it's availability in the current state they saw.

Unfortunately we have not been able to handle the lack of precision in our motors using the scaled method as Tim had kindly presented... yet.

As we evaluated our efforts there versus looking at designing a platform that could properly support this, and more, we have shifted our focus towards a higher precision platform.

That being said the method associated for our current generation of cameras is something I am continuing to work on in the evenings in hopes of allowing it to handle the movement more like Tim had suggested.

We definitely recognize this as a very important aspect to further the production capabilities of the PTZOptics platform.

Tim I hope to still reach out to you if I feel like I have a semi-working implementation of your low-res model in hopes of seeking suggestions on refinement :-)

1 person likes this

I would be happy if the current preset motion was just SLOWED DOWN! The hardware is capable because I can set a slow speed in the camera's web app and the arrow keys make a nice slow sweep. But when I select a present it goes way too fast - even though I set slow speeds in the web app (seems the speed settings don't apply to the presets... why not?).

We bought this camera to use in our church for live streaming - partly because the presets make it dead easy for a novice operator to frame the pulpit, or the choir, or any other preset we setup. I was hugely disappointed to find that the presets are almost useless for live streaming because it moves much too fast, it leaves the viewer dizzy.

And now I find that setting a slow "arrow" speed in the web app does not slow down the motions made from the remote arrow keys. Another pitfall - the remote is part of that 'dead simple' concept essential for church volunteers. Adding a computer, display, and keyboard requirement to run the camera is another big bunch of stuff to learn and go wrong.

This camera hardware is completely capable of being a very easy to use system for live streaming, but the firmware is not quite right for it.

"rough example as discussed prior is available in firmware"

How could we get this firmware for our PT20X-SDI-GY-G2?

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your current interactions with your PTZOptics camera.

I believe the instructions below will help guide you to where you can make the adjustments to the camera(s) that you are looking for.

OSD Adjustment for Preset Recall Speed 

Applies to PT12X-XXX-XX-G2 / PT20X-XXX-XX-G2 / PT30X-XXX-XX-G2 model(s)

As it sounds like you have the ability to use the IR remote and view the feed at the same time you can make the adjustment to Preset Speed Recall via the OSD, On Screen Display, as shown below.

OSD Navigation Instructions

This section can be reached by pressing the "MENU" button on your IR Remote

Navigating down to the "P/T/Z" section, using the down direction button on the IR Remote

Clicking the "HOME button on the IR Remote to enter the "P/T/Z" adjustment section

Navigating down to the "Call Preset Speed" section, using the down direction button on the IR Remote 

Now using the left and right direction buttons on your IR Remote adjust the number shown to your desired speed.

Note: 1 is the slowest possible option while 24, default, is the fastest.

Now use the "MENU" or "Return" buttons to exit out of the OSD Menu.

Note: If you do NOT see this option available in your OSD Menu you will need to upgrade your firmware to gain this feature.

Please find the correct firmware for your camera, along with instructions, by using the PTZOptics Firmware Finder

Enabling the experimental "MotionSync" technology for more synchronized P/T/Z movement

Applies to PT12X-XXX-XX-G2 / PT20X-XXX-XX-G2 / PT30X-XXX-XX-G2 model(s) 

As it sounds like you have the ability to use the IR remote and view the feed at the same time you can make the adjustment to enable the experimental "MoitionSync" via the OSD, On Screen Display, as shown below.

OSD Navigation Instructions 

This section can be reached by pressing the "MENU" button on your IR Remote

Navigating down to the "SETUP" section, using the down direction button on the IR Remote

Clicking the "HOME button on the IR Remote to enter the "SETUP" adjustment section

Navigating down to the "Motion_Sync" section, using the down direction button on the IR Remote 

Now using the left and right direction buttons on your IR Remote adjust if the feature is "On" or "Off"

Once "On" navigate down to the "Max_Speed" section, using the down direction button on the IR Remote 

Now using the left and right direction buttons on your IR Remote adjust the maximum speed allowed for Pan or Tilt movement

Note: Typically higher speeds being allowed for movements with an extreme pan or tilt will help with the ability to operate

Note: The latest firmware has removed the Min_Speed as it was deemed to have no valuable impact

Now use the "MENU" or "Return" buttons to exit out of the OSD Menu.

Note3: This is an experimental feature and may not always operate as you expect... 

if planning to use this feature in production we recommend setting up all shots ahead of time to ensure your are able to achieve the desired effect.

Note: If you do NOT see this option available in your OSD Menu you will need to upgrade your firmware to gain this feature.

Please find the correct firmware for your camera, along with instructions, by using the PTZOptics Firmware Finder

I hope the above instructions on adjusting Preset Recall Speed and enabling the experimental MotionSync feature via the cameras OSD is helpful towards achieving your desired production.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to come back and we'll do our best to assist.

1 person likes this

Thank you Matthew, I assumed since it was 'beta' it required an update. I should have looked more carefully at the OSC menus!

So I have experimented with both of these features (Call Preset Speed and Motion Sync) for the last 2 weeks of broadcasting our church services. My conclusion is that the speed of preset motion without Motion Sync is nicely controllable, but the path it takes is usually not good e.g. it may zoom in before panning - not a good visual effect.

Motion Sync provides a much better visual effect (path), but even at it's slowest setting it is still much too fast. For some reason the minimum value I can set is 185 (no idea what the units are, clearly different than the Call Preset Speed). Even at that minimum value the movement is much too quick. Would it be possible to provide some slower speed settings for Motion Sync?

This is so close to being prefect for our 1-camera live broadcasting...

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

No worries it's hidden pretty well to be honest :-)

So the new "speed range" for MotionSync is, sort-of, a common denominator situation between the P/T/Z speeds available.

Unfortunately the current ranges are a limitation of what the motors can offer before they begin mis-behaving.

While this is not truly a fix, and actually somewhat of a bug, currently MotionSync will listen to speed adjustments made to the Zoom Preset Recall.

You may find that slowing this action down, depending on your total movement, may actually provide the slower appearance you're looking for.

As this is unintentional and can cause the MotionSync to become out of sync you may witness the Zoom finishing before or after your motions once adjusted.

If things are "close" this may be worth trying though.

This is something we're continually evaluating better ways to implement towards that goal of a beautiful single production capability.

If you have any questions, ideas or general curiosities please don't hesitate to come back to the forums!

Thanks for this motion sync! I've been doing some experiments and I am confident that this will offer us a 'as good as it can get with one camera' functionality!

I set the Zoom preset recall to 12 (an intermediate value) and left the sync to 185. The cameramoves appear to be quite smooth, thanks!

Minor issue: i had to upgrade the firmware to get this funcitonality. After having done that, I lost my presets (yes I did backup the config in advance and restored them). Did I miss some?

Hi Gkv Soest-Baarn,

I am very glad to hear that the motion sync is working well for you.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of presets after the update.

With regards to being able to backup the presets... this is a feature added to more recent firmware.

As an example, now that you have updated the firmware, if you set a preset and then make a backup... the preset will be saved as part of the backup.

So you should not experience that same loss of presets with any future firmware updates to your camera.

I hope this information has been helpful and if you have any questions about your PTZOptics camera please don;t hesitate to come back to the forums.

1 person likes this

Hello

Is it possible to set  ( and store) the sequence  of the PTZ movement.    Fi  first T and than P and then Z  

Hi Bert,

No this is not an option with the camera itself. We do have the (in the OSD under P/T/Z) Preset speed that controls the pan and tilt speed between presets, and the Pre-Zoom-Speed that controls the zoom speed so you can have those move at different speeds, but we don't have anyway to control all 3 independently. 

I see it as a feature request.

I may not have explained it correctly. 

What I mean is add the option to fix the sequence of movements in the preset. 

For example, do first T and then P and then Z, or First Z and then P and then T.

There is now a ??? sequence  of movements in the camera.  It should be nice to change that

Hi Bert,

I can mention this to the firmware team about this but I make no promises about such a specific feature being added at such as busy time for us. 

Andrew,   There are a lot of combinations that could occur, especially if you want to establish waypoints along the way.  If you are mostly switching between a limited number of presets, perhaps you can accomplish your goal by setting multiple presets "along the way".   Changing from Preset A to B would sequence through AB1 (T only), AB2 (Pan only), B (final position, only Tilt necessary).  If switching from Preset C to B the sequence would be CB1, CB2, C.  You might be able to use their software control, or Streamdeck/Companion to call the intermediate steps with timing defined.  Just a thought.

Login to post a comment