Start a new topic

Recording device for PTZ cameras withouth computer

Is anybody using a device to record a local copy of the camera feed without needing to have a computer on site? Doesn't matter if it is HDMI, SDI, or ethernet.

3 people have this question

Hi Shane,

We have a lot of PTZOptics customers using the Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor  (ATOMNJAV01) and reporting stellar results.

All of the specifications of the device match very well with the PTZOptics camera line with HDMI outputs and should provide an excellent recording experience when paired together.

We have tested a number of the $50 - $150 options from Amazon with greatly mixed results from not actually recording, having odd artifacts or providing a low quality recording... they all have a similar style to the one shown below 

(note the one shown below we have not actually tested)

I hope this information has been helpful.

1 person likes this

What about the USB port, does it output audio/video? Can it possibly record to an sd card?

The Ninja looks amazing but adds a lot to the price.  Hard to justify when there are plenty of professional cameras with internal sd card recording.

Hi Shane,

The PTZOptics camera line has no SD Card slot so recording to an SD Card would not be possible.

The USB-B 3.0 port on the USB models of the camera does allow for audio, video and control via USB but is specific to the USB models of the cameras.

In addition I am unsure of any UVC Camera Recorder "box" on the market except a PC combined with software which I believe is what you are trying to avoid.

I have the Ninja V and I can't get it to recognize an hdmi input from my ptzoptics gen 2 camera. No idea why. I've been tinkering with the settings for a while now. I have gotten the camera's hdmi feed to work with the blackmagic intensity shuttle after playing with the settings for a bit.
I have the Ninja V and have not gotten the my gen 2 camera to work with it. After playing with the settings a bit I did mange to get the hdmi feed to work with the blackmagic intensity shuttle. But, no luck yet when the ninja V.

I have a 12X USB Gen2 running out to an Atomos Ninja Blade V2 (firmware V5.2) but I am not able to get a stable picture.  When I set the camera dial to "6" 1080p 30, I get a rolling image that looks like there is a vertical hold issue.  The Atomos will record but the file is unusable. 

Is there a known camera model, dial setting, firmware version, combination that will work with the Atomos Monitor/Recorder devices?  

I have tried multiple Atomos models, from the Shogun Inferno down to the Ninja Blade V2 and NONE of them were able to receive a picture out of the 12/20x USB models.  

I am able to get a solid image into a Blackmagic Designs Video Assist, however there is no audio embedded in the HDMI.

I have been able to get the 12X and 30X  SDI cameras to record to the NinjaV via the Atomos SDI to HDMI converters, but not directly via the camera SDI or HDMI outputs

Login to post a comment