Start a new topic

Audio background noise

We successfully set-up a live stream church service and were able to control the camera on Studio 6 by vimeo and on to YouTube. Our problem is a background static coming over the network with the video. The camera is located about 100' away from our sound rack and network drop, so both the cat6 and audio line (shielded XLR and a XLR to 3.5mm patch cable) are running together to the camera where we use the line in jack to drop in the audio to the stream. At first I thought it might be interference picked up on the way so I disconnected the audio jack from the camera and we still have the same static. Then I ran a separate clean cat6 line away from all possible interference to the camera and I still have the same noise.   Do you have any suggestions?

1 person has this question

Is there beta firmware available for the 30x NDI? I'd love to be a beta tester!

Not yet but we should have the new 30x firmware soon that should address the audio noise floor issue. 

Just to let people who were waiting for the noise floor fix on the 30X models, a new version of the 30X firmware was released this week.

It can be downloaded from the Firmware Finder

So at this point the firmware update with the noise floor fix is available for the 12X, 20X, and 30X, SDI and NDI models.

That's great news, Colin!  We ordered the 30x SDI on Sunday based on Andrew's message 6 days ago.  We'll definitely be beta testing the fix soon after the new camera arrives and will report back...

Great to hear about the SDI and NDI update.  Any update on the timeline for the USB models?  

So, we had our first big show on the weekend going direct to YouTube live from the camera.  And I'm happy to report that it was a complete success and the audio s/n quite decent - though I never was able to compare it to what it was before the firmware upgrade so can't comment on the difference.  In our case, leaving the "Input Vol" at 0 for both left and right seemed to work best overall.

Thanks so much for the fix. :)

Hello,

Our church purchased one of your PTZ Optics 30x NDI/HX camera for streaming.  We have the church mixing board output connected to the 3.5 mm audio input of the camera.  With this configuration, the sound has a very audible noise in the background. 

Is it possible to unplug the 3.5 mm connection and go directly from the board to an audio interface to USB to the PC?  This would feed the audio directly to the production PC / Box using a USB Audio Converter.

At this point, the camera is our actual streaming method. How do I tell the camera to ignore the line input and use the USB audio coming in the PC?

Hi Marius, 

Are you doing a direct RTMP stream from the camera or bringing the video feed into software on the production PC and streaming out from there?

Assuming you are using software (something like OBS, vMIx, or Wirecast) on your production PC it would be fine to run the audio directly to the PC. 

At that point you would be able to add the audio as a source within the software. And you can disable the audio feed on the camera if needed through the web interface, under the Audio section.

Also, are you sure your camera is up to date on firmware? The newest firmware for the 30X NDI models should have corrected the noise floor issue.

You can download the latest firmware from the Firmware Finder.

Hello,

Has there been a fix yet for the USB models for the noise issue? We like being able to pull our audio over RTSP but the ringing noise in the background is terrible.

Hi Josiah,

We do not have firmware for the USB models that fixes the noise floor issue.

We do expect to release firmware that addresses that problem sometime by the end of April.

Is there an update on the USB models yet?

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, we do not have a fix for the USB models yet.

We are working on it for the USB cameras and we will post an update here once it is released. 

In the meantime, we have found increasing the input volume coming from the audio source and lowering the gain on the cameras in the Web GUI can help eliminate the noise floor. 

Hello!  Just thought I'd ping this conversation again and see if there are firmware updates yet for the USB camera models that fix the noise floor issue?  We have the USB 20x model at our church building and the noise floor is around -33db.  I've gotten it to around -38db by fiddling with the gain/input levels, but would like to get it down further if possible.  Should it be possible to get lower than that by adjusting gain/input levels?  Thanks!

I don't see a fix for the audio noise floor on the USB models yet, it should show up on the firmware changelog once it gets fixed. https://ptzoptics.com/firmware-changelog/

I'm still waiting to see the "improved audio quality" fix to appear in the PT30X-SDI firmware.  Its been a year since I posted to this topic about it.

Login to post a comment