Start a new topic

Okay to leave in Standby?

We have recently acquired a PTZOptics 30X NDI camera for live streaming church service.  We use it about 2 hours on Sunday mornings and turn it off the remainder of the time.  We have now mounted it to the wall and it is out of reach without a tall ladder.  My questions are is it is okay to leave it in standby mode for the 166 hours that it is not in use every week? Also, it is powered via POE. Is it safe to pull the ethernet cable from the router to power it off without damaging the camera?

Hi Aaron,

You've made this pretty easy on me... the answer is definitely "yes" to both questions.

You should have no concerns leaving the camera(s) powered on 24 / 7 via outlet or PoE power.

If you want to save some electricity you can simply pull the network cable providing the camera(s) with power to disconnect.

If you have any additional questions about your new camera please don;t hesitate to come back to the forums.

I'm in the same situation. I have a 30x PTZ camera and a 20x ZCAM. Both are POE/NDI with only the ethernet cable running to the camera. We only use the camera a couple hours a week on Sunday morning. Is there a way to put the camera in standby mode with the web interface of each camera? Or do I leave them running all week? What is best?

Yeah leaving them running all week is generally best. the cameras are designed to be left on 24/7. 

With the answers I read above about leaving on 24/7....  is there a "auto" standby mode that can be set so that it turns off after X hours? ?  

Hi Warren,

There are not any settings on the camera that can be adjusted so the camera will enter Standby after a certain amount of time.

Currently the only way to put the camera into standby would be by using the IR remote or by sending a VISCA command. 

Login or Signup to post a comment