Start a new topic
Answered

How to Find Camera's Absolute Position

Hi,

I'm using a PTZ Optics 20X-NDI (love it!) and I've been programming my StreamDeck to do the pan first, then do the zoom in/out to the final position.  

I would like to use the DirectRecall command, so I can pan really fast, then fade into the scene as the zoom starts.  I'm going to use camera pre-set positions as the final scene selection, so I don't care if the absolute position is off a few clicks, I need to avoid the head-spinning fast pan across the room.  

Once I have my camera in the position to start the zoom, how do I see the absolute position so I can enter it into the DirectRecall command?  Ideally, just displayed in the NDI Studio tool, or on the Web controller. 

Best Answer

Hi William,

Very glad we could be of assistance.

If you have any questions, ideas or general curiosities in the future please don;t hesitate to return to the forums.

I hope this message finds you in thew midst of an excellent day.

Hi William,

You pose an excellent questions and luckily this is something currently supported by the PTZOptics Control Application.

If you open your PTZOptics Control Application and start by clicking the top menu option titled "View" and enabling the "Status" bar we'll have everything we need to gather the ABS positions of the camera.

In the images shown below you will see an example of the reporting from one preset location beside an example where I have simply driven to a random location and the status bar at the bottom showcases the ABS locations each time.

If you have any additional questions about the cameras, software or otherwise please do not hesitate to return to the forums and we will do our best to support you.

That's great!  Thanks so much Matthew!  

Answer

Hi William,

Very glad we could be of assistance.

If you have any questions, ideas or general curiosities in the future please don;t hesitate to return to the forums.

I hope this message finds you in thew midst of an excellent day.

1 person likes this

Hi Matthew, I tried this on my PTZ Optics Control Pane and I don't get the same display.  Is there a different one, or an update?  Thanks!

Hi William,

This is definitely strange... my home PC is identical to yours.

I have reached out to the developer to inquire about this and will let you know as soon as I hear back.

If any other questions arise in the meantime don't hesitate to ask.

Any Update to this?

Hi Kevin,

The latest version of the control app (v1.4) has the status bar again.

You would just need to enable the status bar and have the Advanced View open to see the position info.

So I would recommend downloading and installing the latest version of the control app.

https://ptzoptics.com/ptz-app/

Hi, I'm using a PTZ OPTICS USB. Does anyone know how to get position of pan and tilt PTZOptics with python?

Hi Devira,

You can use Python to send VISCA over IP commands to the camera to query the position info.

The link to the full VISCA over IP Command set is here.

The commands you are interested in are CAM_ZoomPosInq and CAM_PanTiltPosInq. 

We have some info about utilizing those commands in a previous forum post here.

We also have some example Python scripts posted which may be helpful to reference as well.

An Introduction to IP Control & Scripting for PTZOptics Cameras

Login to post a comment