Start a new topic

The remote host closed the connection

I'm using the Windows PTZ app for pan/zoom actions and presets. In a 1 hour event we usually get several occurrences of the "remote host closed the connection" popup error and have to reconnect to the camera to get it to work again. Similar disconnect symptoms with the IOS app. This is a PT20X-SDI-GY-G2 purchased a few weeks ago. Please advise. Thanks.

8 people have this question

Hi Jim,

We'll do our best to help you get to the bottom of this time out issue you are currently experiencing.

For your current setup are the cameras, PC and tablet all using static IPs, dynamic IPs or a mix of static and dynamic?

If you are using DHCP would you happen to know the DHCP release renewal time currently used for your network?

Once we have those answers we can begin to formulate a few things we can check and try to resolve the timeout that is occurring.

We look forward to helping you get to the bottom of this and otherwise hope this message finds you in the midst of an excellent day.

Matthew,

The PC and tablet are using DHCP. The camera has a fixed IP. The network is all Ubiquiti Unifi equipment. The DHCP lease time is 86400 seconds.

I am having exact same issue and it is happening every 5 minutes or so... Is there an update to this?  Both of my cameras are assigned with static IP.  I have swapped out ethernet cable and network switch to troubleshoot but to no avail. 

HI Charles,

We are looking into this, it appears to happen when the network for the cameras is local and not hooked up to a router. The lack of router seems to cause some issues with the control software and losing the connection.  We are looking into confirming this and seeing if there is anything we can do for the software to allow it to run better on a standalone network. 

My PTZOptics 20X NDI camera is using static IP and is connected to a switch on the same subnet as my vVMIX laptop. I've noticed the same thing with the PTZOptics App timing out essentially.

Are there any fixes to this issue?

Hello, has there been any update or solution to the above problem?  I keep getting a "Host requires authentication" error.  Static IP, either thru direct Cat5 to the camera or thru a network switch.

Any update on this? I am connected to a router.... not standalone. 

Hello, 

This is still an issue we are working on fixing with the app.

We have heard back from customers that have said they only see the issue if the camera is powered up or rebooted after opening the Control app.

So that may work as a temporary fix while we work on the issue. 

Hi,

Our cameras are powered all the time. I still see the issue every time I launch the Control App - it is 100% reproducible. 

Note - we have two cameras. I only see the issue on one of the two cameras - the one I designated as "Camera 1".

We get the same problem.

Just using the one camera and the connection gets closed fairly regularly. (At least once during an hour-long session).

It's not a huge problem, but having to click through the error message and reconnect is a pain (especially if it comes at a bad time!)

Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue.

Would you happen to know if the PC is being operated wirelessly or if it is hardwired to the network?

We look forward to hearing from you when you have the opportunity and hope this message finds you having a wonderful day.

The laptop is operating wirelessly (as is the camera, which is plugged into a wireless network extender).

I don't see a reason why this would cause the connection to close though.

Hi Michael,

So using wireless should always be the last option explored when dealing with something such as Live Video.... that being said sometimes there are no other options.

We can see packet loss reach unacceptable levels when simply the PC is operated over WiFi not even considering the camera being operated wirelessly as well.

All of that being said, the best next step might be to determine what level of packet loss or latency these wireless connections are introducing to your setup.

If you are using a Windows system you can leverage the command prompt and the ping option to do a very lightweight packet loss and latency test.

As an example from the wireless PC you would ping the camera using "ping <camera IP>" (Example: ping 192.168.100.88)

What you should see in response at the end is total packet loss and with each instance of the ping it will report the observed latency.

There are many other tools available for download or potentially available from a managed network to take the packet loss tests even further.

With that data you may be able to tune the wireless system to provide better connections for both the PC and camera to minimize as much

If we can be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to let us know and we'll do our best to support your setup.

I think we should separate the camera control/management and the video feed. I agree that receiving a video feed wirelessly is fraught with problems.

That said, being able to manage/control the cameras wirelessly should not represent an issue, since this is done using TCP. There appears to be one or more very fundamental bugs in the control software. It can be very "stressful" when the connection goes down right around the time when camera transitions are needed - I have been in this situation several times.

I was under the impression that PTZ was working on solving this problem for the 1.4 version of the application - but, it still fails. If I could find some other solution, I would definitely switch to that, but I am stuck with what we have for now.

Login to post a comment