Start a new topic

POE Power for USB 2nd Gen 20x

My church recently purchased a camera to live stream services. We want to mount the camera on a wall and are therefore interested in the POE option. I read the article below and saw that something can be purchased to allow for this on the USB models however the link in the article goes to a home page and not to a specific product. Can you point me in the right direction? https://help.ptzoptics.com/support/solutions/articles/13000014456-is-there-anyway-to-power-your-cameras-using-poe-

1 person has this question

Hi Donald,

I'm sorry that link is no longer functional, it appears when WiFiTexas became PoETexas not all of the links came over.

The specific model that was linked is the PoE Texas WT-GAF-12v12w

Previously the notes of the product confirmed that the power plug was compatible with the PTZOptics camera and I am not seeing that noted any longer.

I would recommend reaching out to PoE Texas, via one of the means listed below, just to confirm that this is still 100% compatible without need of "barrel adapters" for the power plug.

Phone: +1-512-479-0317

Email: success@poetexas.com

Web Form:  https://www.poetexas.com/about-poe/ and then click the "Support" drop down to reach the "Contact Us" form.

If you have any other questions about your camera please do not hesitate to return to forums and ask away.

Thanks for the quick reply! I just reached out to PoE Texas via email and will report back with their response. 

Just received a response... Hi Donald, Good afternoon, and thank you for reaching out to us today. The GAF-12v12w is compatible for power for the PT20X-USB, however that camera needs a specific EIAJ-04 (adapter H) DC barrel connection. We are sold out of this adapter at the moment, but have more coming in. We expect these to be available within 2-3 weeks. Cheers, Maria PoE Shifu +1 512-479-0317

Hi Donald,

Thank you so much for returning to share that information, we really can;t thank you enough.

I will make sure we get the article you shared updated to reflect this information.

If you have any other questions, ideas or concerns please do not hesitate to come back to the forums.

I hope this message finds you having a wonderful day.

Donald,

Thank you for doing this research. I am looking for this exact thing currently. I am wondering if there may be an adapter available on Amazon? Would it be possible for PTZ Optics to chime in on the size of the connection on the camera? 

Thanks! 

Hi Matthew Hand,

The power adapter for the PTZOptics camera is a EIAJ-04-Philmore255

Outside Diameter - 5.50mm

Inside Diameter - 3.30mm

Shaft - 9.90mm

Center Pin - 1mm - positive

Outer - negative

Compatible connectors can be acquired from the following locations below

Male connector - https://www.newark.com/lumberg/1636-04/connector-3-3mm-dc-power-plug/dp/98K5989?st=3.3mm 

Female connector - https://www.newark.com/mcm/27-5851/dc-power-jack-3-3x5-5x1-0-in-line/dp/40T6165?st=3.3mm 

Hopefully these specifications can assist you in your search for the correct adapter.

If you have any additional questions, concerns or ideas please do not hesitate to return to the forums.

We hope this message finds you having an excellent day.

From one Matthew to another Matthew thank you so so much!

Hi Matthew

PoE Texas just received a new shipment. I was able to order mine today for $19.99. I contacted their customer service to ensure I received the correct product. They were incredibly helpful.

Hi Donald,

That is some excellent news and thank you very much for returning to the forums to share.

The team over there is absolutely fantastic and they really seem to love what they're doing.

If there is ever anything else we can assist with please don;t hesitate to return to the forums.

Hi Matthew,

Anything for another Matthew ;-)

If you ever have any additional questions please do not hesitate to return to the forums.

Matthew - please explain why you listed two different adapters (male and female). This is very confusing; shouldn’t there be a single barrel adapter needed?  

Still trying to understand why my new Zcam says it supports PoE but I still need the splitter/injector when using SDI. There should be a card inside the box explaining this rather than finding out later.

Hi a vw,

I have listed both male and female connections in the event you are attempting to build an extension solution as was mentioned in the original posting.

The specifications are provided so you can ensure that a random barrel adapter or extension solution would be compatible with the cameras ports.

I am not able to tell you what the barrel dimensions of another manufacturers device are so I cannot quote a specific adapter.

What I have done is provided the tools to verify that what your purchase will be compatible with the camera(s).

I hope that this is helpful in locating a proper fit if still unavailable from PoE Texas.

I received the GAF-12v12w splitter from POE Texas and had it running through a TP-Link 5 Gigabit PoE Switch 4 Port PoE 56 W. It powered the camera when I initially plugged it in but then the camera turned off and would not turn on. However it works fine with the power cord supplied with the camera. So I contacted POE Texas and this is the response they gave...

Looks like the GEN2 20xUSB actually needs 24 watts at 12 volts; not 12w. This was an oversight on our end and explains why it's no longer working. It needs more juice! I'll get a replacement order in for you free of charge since the wrong part was originally recommended.

She went on to say...

The attached data sheet from the PTZOptics site shows 12v12w max, which is why I originally recommended the GAF-12v12w with EIAJ-04 adapter. However, some resellers list the power consumption as 24W.

I want to confirm this is true before plugging in a 24 watt source into the camera as I don't want to damage the camera. 

Hi Donald,

Apologies for the delay in responding to you.

The PTZOptics G2 USB models are provided with a 12V 2A power supply (24W total power) however the cameras only utilize a maximum of 12W (12V 1A)

The rating of the power supply itself may be where this confusion was generated.

During standard operation the camera will typically consume 7W - 9W and rarely ever exceeds the 9W power draw.

If you have any additional questions about the PTZOptics cameras or their power draw please do not hesitate to return to the forums.

Login to post a comment