Start a new topic
Answered

PT-webcam-80 to IP camera bridge?

(Really not sure which topic this should go in - it could be anywhere.)

I've bought a PT-webcam-80 in the hope that I can use it as a cheap way of checking that I can set up our church system appropriately before buying the "real" camera (likely to be an NDI 30x).

Unfortunately although the webcam supports EPTZ, it's all done over USB - so I can't test how I'd control the "real" camera with the OBS plugin etc.

Is there a "bridge" available at all, that listens on the network as if it's an IP camera, and then converts IP PTZ commands into appropriate USB commands? I wouldn't need it to deliver the actual video signal over the network - just the PTZ aspects. I could then try to get an XBox controller set up to control the PTZ etc, and be confident that it would work with the real camera.

It's entirely possible that this is either unfeasible or a really bad idea for other reasons, but I'm hoping it's plausible and may already be available. (If the protocols for both USB and network control are well-documented, I'd be happy to try writing such a bridge myself.)

Best Answer

When you go to add a camera in the "mutli camera settings" you can choose between USB and IP control. This does only work on a PC though, the MAC version of the software does not have working USB control. Feel free to reach out us in support to see if we can figure out the best way to use the camera. support@ptzoptics.com

The Webcam and the 30x SDI camera are pretty different units with entirely different control protocols. If you use the free camera control app (ptzoptics.com/downloads) you would be able to switch between USB or IP control allowing control for both of these cameras. 

I've just downloaded the app, but I don't see anything about switching between USB and IP control there - and no sign of the webcam :(

The help for the app does claim that it supports a USB connection, but I wonder if that's only for the "proper" PTZ cameras rather than the webcam?

Answer

When you go to add a camera in the "mutli camera settings" you can choose between USB and IP control. This does only work on a PC though, the MAC version of the software does not have working USB control. Feel free to reach out us in support to see if we can figure out the best way to use the camera. support@ptzoptics.com

Aha - thank you. I don't know why I hadn't seen that before. I could have sworn I'd gone into "multi camera settings" before and not seen any options. Thank you for your patience!

(This is on Windows, so no problems there.)

Login to post a comment