Start a new topic

POE Issue with 20x Camera

We just installed a pair of 20x NDI version cameras.  When i connect them both to a POE switch, the POE overload light on the switch flashes and one of the cameras becomes intermittent.  It is always the same camera regardless of the port it is connected to or the cable i use to connect it.  Any ideas/suggestions?  I really do not want to run fixed power to the camera.

Thanks

1 Comment

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue using PoE to power the cameras.

For the camera that causes this issue, if plugged into the PoE switch with nothing else connected do you still see the same "overload" light?

If you answered YES, then there may be a hardware issue with that camera

If you answered NO, then it sounds like the "PoE Budget" of the switch has been utilized once all equipment has been connected.

When evaluating a switches PoE budget it often requires going beyond the provided specifications claiming 8-ports of PoE power.

We have seen multiple instances of a switch claiming 8-ports of PoE power where the Power Supply included is not even capable of supplying that much power.

If you know the model of the switch being used we can assist with evaluating the available PoE Budget if needed.

We look forward to assisting you in getting to the bottom of this PoE issue and hope that, other than the PoE issue, you are having an excellent day.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to return to the forums.

Login to post a comment