Start a new topic
Answered

PoE control and SDI output

Hi, we are planning to purchase a Sony MCX-500 switcher. One of the video sources will be a PTZ Optics camera. We are looking at the 30X-SDI Gen 2. 

It looks like the switcher will not accept a Ethernet input, so we will have to get the SDI input coming out of the PTZ camera instead. The camera will be placed quite high on a pillar where there is no access to an AC outlet. 

My questions for this setup is:  Can I use PoE just to power the camera and simultaneously get an SDI output without losing video quality for streaming?

Note: I would prefer to find a way to send a power plug up there than to lose the 1080@60 quality.

Any suggestions will help.  Thanks!

--Fred

Best Answer

Hello Fred,

With the 30X model specifically that note would apply. The more complete version of the note you mentioned is below.

"Please note: The 30X is unable to perform simultaneous 1080p 60fps over SDI / HDMI & the IP Stream. When utilizing 1080p 60fps on either of the outputs, the other output must be set to a maximum of 1080p 30fps."

If you want to use 1080p60 over the SDI output you would simply need to set the network feed to 1080p30 (or lower). By default the camera will come set to do 1080p60 over SDI and 1080p30 over the network feed. 

So you can power the camera with PoE, control and see a video preview over the network, and have a 1080p60 output through the SDI connection.

Hello Fred,

You can power the camera with PoE and still use the SDI output of the camera. That would not limit the quality that can be used with the SDI output.

You would just want to make sure the switcher you plan to use supports the output resolution/framerate you plan to use from the camera.

If you are going to be powering it through PoE you would also be able to control the camera over the network.

We have a free desktop based camera control app that would allow you to control the cameras through the network connection. 

I thought we will lose video quality when streaming over the network and using the SDI at the same time. I pasted the excerpt form the user guide:

I understand that to control the camera over the network would require a video feed from the Camera to the control Application which constitutes in a streaming over IP.  Or do I understand the statement incorrectly?

Thanks fo r

Answer

Hello Fred,

With the 30X model specifically that note would apply. The more complete version of the note you mentioned is below.

"Please note: The 30X is unable to perform simultaneous 1080p 60fps over SDI / HDMI & the IP Stream. When utilizing 1080p 60fps on either of the outputs, the other output must be set to a maximum of 1080p 30fps."

If you want to use 1080p60 over the SDI output you would simply need to set the network feed to 1080p30 (or lower). By default the camera will come set to do 1080p60 over SDI and 1080p30 over the network feed. 

So you can power the camera with PoE, control and see a video preview over the network, and have a 1080p60 output through the SDI connection.

Brilliant!

Login to post a comment